Oct 27 2009
At 1.00pm today two team representatives met up with Greater Manchester Police, the Mayor and Mayoress of Bolton and members of the British Army to officially launch “Operation Market Garden”, Help For Heroes Charity Event, which will take place on Saturday November 7th 2009.
Held in front of Bolton Town Hall, within Victoria Square, this launch event representated the culmination of a considerable amount of planning by the Event Organiser, GMP Police Sergeant Steve Baldam.
“Operation Market Garden” (Commando Run) will see a mixed party of GMP Officers from Bolton Division, and members of the British Army and Royal Marines Reserve, take part in a recreation of the Second World War ’Commando Run’ which will see all taking part running from Winter Hill summit down into Bolton Town Centre, whilst wearing boots and carrying a 36lb rucksac !
The team will be on hand to assist GMP in fully supporting this event, by providing standby rescue cover for the runners on the moorland section, marshalls, and by providing a vehicle escort for the runners in to Bolton Town Centre.
Present at todays launch meeting were the following guests;
- GMP Police Sergeant Steve Baldam, Event Organiser.
- The Mayor of Bolton Councillor Norman Critchley and his wife, the Mayoress.
- Warrant Officer 2nd Class Peter Rhodes,
- Sergeants Stuart Hunter, Fraser Kerr and
- Privates Craig McMorrow and Ashley Lewis of the British Army.
- GMP Police Community Support Officer Paul Cusick.
- Sally Hayes, Assistant to the Mayor and Mayoress of Bolton.
- Bolton MRT Team President Bob Hutchinson and Team Call Out list member Fred Taylor, with a Team Land Rover Mountain Rescue Ambulance.
“Help For Heroes” is a registered charity who provides a rehabilitation service to members of Her Majesties Armed Services who have been injured whilst on active military service. Please also see website ’news’ item dated Friday 16th October 2009