Incident 92/2009

At the conclusion of today’s ambulance assists, as the last team members were heading home having completed vehicle replenishment, base tidy up and paperwork relating to the incidents, the inevitable happened (a late night search callout).

This commenced at 21:58 when the Greater Manchester Police Force Duty Manager directly contacted our Team Leader for the team’s assistance with the developing search for a missing 91 year old, centred on Trafford General Hospital.

With below freezing temperatures, and snow and ice conditions underfoot, there was grave concern for the safety of this missing person.


The GMP Air Support Unit helicopter joined in the initial Police search efforts, soon after the man was reported missing in the early evening.

With no clues as to his whereabouts, the team was called to work alongside Police officers to search for this missing gentleman.

In total, 23 Bolton team members responded alongside GMP Search Unit officers and Divisional officers. The search centred on the area between Trafford General Hospital, through Flixton and the Woodlands area out to Partington.

Team members were involved in a search of the hospital grounds and immediate surrounds with other team members in team vehicles joining Police patrols in searches of the surrounding housing estates (with very poor wintry road conditions prevalent). Team members and Police were also involved in searches centered around two home addresses relevant to this missing person.

Neighbours and family members were also involved in the search effort.

With concern mounting for this man’s welfare, at 00:49 came the good news that he had been located in the Stretford area of Manchester in a confused state, cold, but otherwise unharmed.

Team members finally got into their beds at around 02:00 in the morning.

Very special thanks to Gill Parry, wife of callout list member Mark Parry, who as an experienced walker, came out with her husband to assist us on this urgent search tonight.