Jul Saturday 10 2010
Thankfully the cloudy skies did not turn to rain, and the sun came out to make today’s Community Safety Day / 999 Emergency Services Day held in Darwen Town Centre a complete success.
Organised this year as in previous years by Darwen based, Police Community Support Officer Nick Gisicz, a valued friend and supporter of the Bolton MRT, this years event included participation from a great many organisations that work within Darwen and the surrounding area, including;
- North West Ambulance Service (Lancashire) with an Emergency Ambulance and crew attending from Darwen Ambulance Station.
- Lancashire Fire and Rescue Service, with Darwen Fire Station being represented by their Pump Appliance and Land Rover defender Personnel Carrier, and the Service as a whole being represented by a Mobile Fire Station / Incident Control and Command Vehicle.
- RNLI in the guise of Peter Charnock, who is an Education Presenter for the RNLI.
- Blackburn with Darwen Council who kindly provided many fun activities.
- Lancashire Constabulary and Darwen based PCSOs, who provided public safety and other related advice.
- British Army Careers advisor / display.
- The team attended with
- all four of our Land Rover Mountain Rescue Ambulances,
- Our Minibus,
- Search and Rescue Boat,
- Catering Trailer and
- Control Trailer.
14 x Team call Out list members attended, and four members of our Support Group, Teresa and Howard Gilliland, Gillian Gregory and Peter Critchley.
The team had a Cake stand, with thanks to team members Ana Toole, Judith Waltho, Helen Rigby, Teresa Gilliland, Heather Jackson, Clare Whitney and the wife of Team member Martin Banks for kindly supplying all the cakes.
The sale of cakes was an overwhelming success for the team raising £105.16p.
Our 2nd Hand book stall was again in operation, raising £86.84p.
Combined with public donations collected today of £97.29p, overall we are very happy to report donations at today’s event totaled £289.29p which shows the fantastic public support held in the team by the good people of Darwen.
Our Team display today generated a massive amount of interest in the team, with many visitors having a go at CPR and ’hands on’ demonstrations of our vacuum splints and stretchers.
Throughout the day our Catering Trailer was in operation supplying all our colleagues present at the event with hot or cold drinks and biscuits.
The team is next in Darwen for the Saturday 21st August 2010 Annual Darwen Gala and Jubillee Tower Fell Race, why not make it a date to come along and visit us.