Jul 6 2012
Team in attendance at Albert Square, Manchester Town Hall, “Safe and Secure Event,” Rain cancels proceedings!
Today in very heavy rainfall, Team members Chris Tennant, Alan James and Nick Berry in our ‘BM1’ Land Rover Mountain Rescue Ambulance journeyed to a very wet
Manchester ‘Safe and Secure’ event which was being held within the fantastic setting of Albert Square fronting the beautiful Manchester Town Hall, all day today from 10.00hrs until 16.00hrs.
The day was designed to showcase all the emergency services and organisations that work in close liaison and co-operation when responding to emergency incidents in Manchester and the surrounding areas, giving an overall message of reassurance to the public.
We had been due to send two of our Land Rovers, our SAR Boat (Given the weather today that would have been the most appropriate item of team kit to take!) and our Control Trailer, but a combination of the weather and particularly the high operational tempo we have had over the last week, meant not as many team members were able to attend as had originally been planned.
Upon arrival, the rain continued to pour down, and as all the displays essentially were outdoor ones, a decision was taken b y the organisers to quite sensibly cancel the event there and then, with many of the participating emergency services and organisations due to attend already having arrived and in place, including ours.
A veritable who’s who from all involved in statutory and voluntary emergency response within Manchester and its environs, leaving their vehicles on display outside, enjoyed the hospitality of Manchester City Council inside the Town Hall for hot drinks and above everything else the dry and warmth!
(Please note the following were expected today, but operational considerations meant some assets were otherwise deployed or on standby for emergencies, particularly weather related ones)
- Greater Manchester Police and GMP PCSOs; Crime Prevention Unit and Tactical Aid Unit Vehicle.
- North West Ambulance Service; HART Team Communications Vehicle and HART Team Public Support Unit.
- Bolton Mountain Rescue Team; One Land Rover Mountain Rescue Ambulance vehicle.
- Blood Donation Service; Emergency Vehicle.
- Environment Agency; Specialist vehicles and display material.
- United Utilities; Specialist Incident Unit and ‘Unimog’ vehicles and display material.
- Salvation Army; Mobile Emergency Catering Unit vehicle.
- RAYNET; Forward Control Vehicle.
- Manchester City Council; Public / Community Safety displays and Business Continuity Forums.
So if you saw our Land Rover in the centre of Manchester today, this is the reason we were there, hopefully this event can be repeated at some time in a hopefully drier future!