Incident 75/2012

At 01.13hrs in the very early hours of this morning, the team was paged by NWAS (Manchester) Emergency Control Centre, to respond to the report of an injured male in a ravine in the Shevington area of Standish, Wigan.

Slightly earlier an NWAS (Manchester) Emergency Ambulance crew had responded to the report of an injured male, to discover on arrival that the male was in a wooded ravine having fallen off a rope swing.

Due to the location and the need for a stretcher evacuation, the crew requested via their Emergency Control Room, mountain rescue and HART assistance.

NWAS (Manchester) ECC paged the team and also called out the NWAS HART team from NWAS (Merseyside) as they were geographically closer to respond than the NWAS (Manchester) HART team.

Our first team member arrived on scene (From our full team pager call out at 01.20hrs) at 01.40hrs, with NWAS HART arriving and then our two responding Land Rover Mountain Rescue Ambulances and other Bolton MRT members.

At this stage, with the help of the eight friends of the injured 23 years old male, the NWAS responding crew, some HART personnel and our first team member on scene, Nick Berry, the injured male was carried out of the woodlands of Stockley Hill / Mill Dam / Elnuop Wood, to the waiting Ambulance (And other Emergency Vehicles) at Parbrook Lane, Shevington)

The injured male had suspected head and ‘C’ Spine injuries, and had been placed on a Long Board with Head Blocks and Cervical Collar immobilisation.

He was taken to Wigan Hospital by NWAS Ambulance for treatment.

By 03.15hrs all our team members were back in their beds.

The following resources were involved in this incident;

  • NWAS (Manchester); Emergency Control Room and an Emergency Ambulance (Two crew) from Billinge Ambulance Station.
  • NWAS (Merseyside); HART Team, Five personnel and five Specialist Response Vehicles from their Base at Croxteth LFRS Fire Station.
  • Bolton MRT; Two Land Rover Mountain Rescue Ambulance vehicles, sixteen team members on scene, and a further five team members stood down responding.