Nov 3 2012
Earlier this week, a sixty years old Oldham man was reported missing to Greater Manchester Police by his concerned family.
By Tuesday evening with mounting concern for his well being, GMP instigated a search for the man, involving their own assets and the services of our colleagues at Oldham MRT.
By Wednesday evening, based upon some possible sightings of the missing man, GMP centred their enquiry around the Park Bridge area between Oldham and Ashton-Under-Lyne, and whilst their search efforts would continue throughout Thursday and Friday, mountain rescue assistance was sought for a large scale comprehensive search of the same area on Saturday 3rd November.
On Friday evening, 2nd November, the large scale MRT search operation was confirmed as going ahead, in the Park Bridge area.
All available Bolton MRT members met at our Ladybridge Hall Base / HQ, commencing at 08.30hrs this morning, Saturday 3rd November, travelling to the Visitor Centre at Park Bridge, after leaving our Base / HQ at circa 09.10hrs.
An extensive search was co-ordinated by Oldham MRT in association with a GMP Missing Person Search Manager, and following a search briefing by Oldham MRT our members were deployed into search areas by 11.00hrs.
At circa 12.00hrs, all personnel involved in the search operation were recalled from the extensive search areas, with the sad news that a body had been discovered, believed to be the missing person, in a area completely away from the search areas planned.
A small number of MRT personnel from the search, including Oldham MRT members, alongside GMP Officers were then tasked with the sad operation of recovering the mans body.
The condolences of all involved in this search operation are extended to the family of the man involved.
And yes the rumours are true, last week he was seen actually carrying a Bell Stretcher on his back, and then carrying a loaded stretcher on an exercise, and on todays search it can be confirmed that our esteemed Team Leader Garry Rhodes MBE was actually out searching and not sat in a nice warm Control Vehicle!
- Greater Manchester Police; 1x Missing Person Search Manager, 1x Tactical Aid Unit section.
- Bolton MRT; 15x Call Out List members and 2x Support Group members. (Two other call out list members were to be available later, but the search was concluded prior to their arrival) Four Land Rover Mountain Rescue Ambulance vehicles, our Minibus and our Catering Trailer.
- Kinder MRT; 24x Call Out list members and two Land Rover Mountain Rescue Ambulance vehicles.
- Woodhead MRT; Personnel numbers not known at this stage to the reporter, plus Land Rovers and Incident Control Vehicle.
- Oldham MRT; Personnel numbers not known at this stage to the reporter, plus Land Rovers and Incident Control Vehicle.
- Glossop MRT; Personnel numbers not known at this stage to the reporter, plus Land Rovers.
All MRTs integrated well on this large scale and well organised search.
photos courtesy of Tony Gillon, Oldham MRT