Incident 15/2014

This morning, Four Team Support Group members and many Call Out list members met at our Ladybridge Hall Base / HQ to take down our many Christmas Decorations, and carry out a multitude of minor tasks to get the team in the best shape to enter 2014 – bearing in mind to this time we had already responded to fourteen operational calls on the teams services and membership!

So perhaps we could not have been better placed, when at 11.50hrs we received a pager call out from NWAS (Lancashire) to jointly respond with Helimed to an incident at Turton and Entwistle Reservoir, with the report of a male walker with a leg injury.

Three Team Land Rover Mountain Rescue Ambulances and our Incident Control Vehicle all departed our Ladybridge Hall Base / HQ at 11.56hrs, after we had first established with NWAS Control which of the many car parks in the Incident area was to be the exact RVP.

A full team pager call out message was also sent at 11.57 / 11.58hrs.

A woman jogger had stayed with the injured man initially, also having contacted the Ambulance Service via 999, this jogger then ran from the incident site on the northern shore path of Turton and Entwistle Reservoir, to the RVP at the Dam / Embankment to the reservoir off Batridge road Car Park.

The man, aged 64 years old from Heatron, Bolton, had been out with his wife and their dog, when he had fallen, sustaining a non weight bearing lower leg injury.



At circa 12.06hrs the responding NWAA Helicopter whilst looking to land nearby was diverted to a higher priority tasking, with NWAS Control requesting we now deal solely with this incident.

By this time, Tony Dawson had arrived to meet the jogger, with also arriving team members Elaine Gilliland and Steve Nelson setting off down the reservoir shore track to the incident site.

Our first team vehicle, Land rover BM£3 arrived on scene at 12.10hrs, and with the keys we have available within all our vehicles, was fortunately able to access the reservoir track, ultimately managing to drive almost straight to the casualty (Having collected Elaine and Steve en route)

By 12.28hrs the injured man, having been transported sitting in our BM3 vehcile, was back at the RVP and by 12.31hrs was receiving additional care in the back of the responding NWAS Emergency Ambulance, which had arrived previously.

The man was taken to Royal Bolton Hospital, where we understand he was subsequently treated for a lower leg fracture.

The following resources were deployed or otherwise involved in this incident ;
NWAS (Lancashire) Broughton EOC, AirDesk.

  • NWAS (Lancashire) Emergency Ambulance from Rossendale Ambulance Station (At Blackburn Hospital at the time of call) with two crew; Paramedic and EMT 2.
  • NWAA Helimed 75, from City Airport Manchester (Barton) this is the red one, the 2nd time we’ve worked with it, and the 2nd time we have been deployed with Helimed this year.
  • Bolton MRT; 21x Team members [present on scene, 9x further team members stood down responding. Team Land Rover Mountain Rescue Ambulances BM1,2,and 3. Team Incident Control Vehicle.
  • NEWSAR; 1x Team member stood down responding.

Contact was also made with the local United Utilities Ranger.