Incident 22/2014

This morning a small number of Team Call Out list members joined by Dani Burgess, Fundraising Officer for NEWSAR Team, who was out with us for the day, were assembling at our Ladybridge Hall Base / HQ for a scheduled 11.00hrs exercise start at GMFRS Bolton Central Fire Station, (See above exercise report) when at 10.41hrs we were paged by GMFRS Swinton Fire and Rescue Control, regards an incident in Redisher Wood Nature Reserve, Holcombe Brook, Bury.

A 46 years old male out walking his dog had earlier gotten in to difficulties at the base of a 4 metre slope in the wood, and called his wife and daughter for assistance.

Upon their arrival from their nearby Ramsbottom home, the mans situation led to them making a 999 Emergency Call to Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service.

The man was not injured but was stuck near to a waterfall in the wood.

Our Team Leader Garry Rhodes MBE answered the call, liaising with GMFRS Control, he also via Airwaves, put team members at our Ladybridge Hall Base / HQ (Assembling for the exercise) on immediate standby by to respond.

Garry was then requested to liaise with the on scene at this stage, GMFRS Fire Crew from Ramsbottom Fire Station.

It was established that the male was indeed reported to be uninjured and that the team might be required on scene.

A full team call out pager message was sent at 10.51hrs, with three team Land Rover Mountain Rescue Ambulances initially responding.

GMP had by now arrived on scene, and NWAS were contacted for Ambulance support, with a similar request to NWAS by GMFRS.

Our first team member; Diane Blakeley, arrived at the RVP at the entrance to Redisher Wood, at 11.03hrs with our first Land Rover arriving at 11.05hrs.
By this time a large multi agency response was in place based upon the GMFRS PDA (Pre Determined Attendance) for an incident of this nature, classed by GMFRS as a Rope Rescue Incident.

As more team resources arrived on scene, alongside other responders, it was quickly established that the male had been hoisted to safety by the initial responding fire crew from Ramsbottom Fire Station, and all others were stood down on scene, whilst the male was checked over by the NWAS crew called to scene, with no requirement for further hospital transfer and treatment.

By 11.30hrs most of our responding resources had left the incident RVP.

During this incident the team received a second call out, see Incident 23 above, with some resources initially responding to this incident or on hold should they be required for this incident being diverted to the second call.

This incident location lies at the eastern edge within our team operational area, bordering the operational area of our colleagues at Rossendale and Pendle MRT., and we sometimes call upon RPMRT to assist us in these parts though in this case the incident did not require such support.

The following resources were deployed or otherwise involved in this incident;

  • Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service; Fire and Rescue Service Control, Pump Appliances from Ramsbottom and Bury Fire Stations, Aerial Ladder Platform (ALP) from Bolton Central Fire Station, Technical Rescue Unit and TRU Appliance from Ashton Under Lyne Fire Station, Major Incident Response Unit Appliance, 1x Watch Manager and 1x Station Manager.
  • NWAS (Greater Manchester Area); NWAS (GMA) Parkway EOC.
  • NWAS Regional; NWAS HART Team, Stood down responding.
  • NWAS (Lancashire); Emergency Ambulance from Stacksteads Ambulance Station.
  • Greater Manchester Police; Force control room, and two Officers from Bury Police Station on scene.
  • Bolton Mountain Rescue Team; Three Team Land Rover Mountain Rescue Ambulance Vehicles on scene, one further Land Rover stood down responding (Redirected to Incident 23) with eleven Team Call Out list members stood down on scene, six further Team Call Out list members stood down responding, and our Team Leader in a Control and Co-Ordination role.
  • North East Wales Search and Rescue Team; One Team Call Out List member.